Monday, November 1, 2010

Bosphorus Race

I believe this is the only cross- continental swim, unaided by hurricanes. The creator's friends tried to talk him out of it: "the Bosphorus is too dirty, its currents are too unpredictable, the giant tankers and freighters that traverse it are too dangerous. On top of all that, it is illegal to swim anywhere but along the shore." ...BUT... "I was not dissuaded"
Champion!

When: 3rd Sunday in July

Where: 6.5 km (~4m) along the Bosphorus straight in Istanbul. Start in Asia and end in Europe!

Noteworthy POV from a British swim team: "...there we were one boiling July day in Istanbul, standing on the Asian bank of the Bosphorus Strait, surrounded by really hairy Turkish men in speedos, wondering how we actually got there." - The Sisterhood

The Competition: In recent races, over 800 people from 40 different countries have attempted to cover the distance within the 2 hour time limit. A Turkish athlete won this year by finishing in 41 minutes, and was presented his award by ants (or aliens?) in tuxedos.


Thank you so much, Dan, for this idea, the great sources, and for making up 25% of my immense following! Cami - I'm researching your warrior dash next :)

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures. Great quotes. I'm proud to be one of four. I've only got two following my blog; you're twice as good.

    ReplyDelete