Friday, October 22, 2010

Race Report

Soo I finally did a post!
Here's the original

TM Pros: Ridiculous, really well organized, lots of paramedics and military personnel around, great cause (wounded warrior project), great food, band, and free beer afterwords. They also had a complimentary mullet booth.

Cons: Effing cold water. This made the water cannon obstacle and the 2 swimming-related obstacles a lot harder than they seemed. If the TM you're doing takes place in a ski resort, this is probably going to be a factor... as will the ski slopes you'll have to run up, down, and up again. They also have these "remember, you signed a death waiver" signs along the way.

Mystery Obstacle 18: It was taking a shot of Tabasco sauce! Much better than the bears and/or sharks I was afraid they'd have waiting for us.

Note: Do it with a teammate. I did it solo, and although a team (the Budgee Smugglers) took pity on me for the obstacles where you needed to hurl one another over something, it would've been nice to race this thing as it's intended.

Mudder Championship: 48 hours of hell for finishers in the top 5% from all the other Mudders, plus 100 lucky winners who enter the random drawing. They "confidently predict" it will knock out 90% of the starting pack. "Expect 50 miles of mud, ice, snow, fire, hot coals, rock climbs, barbed wire, electric fencing, underwater swimming, boulder carries, rope climbs, extreme weather conditions and 100 ft dives from waterfalls."

The water cannon obstacle, free tattoo booth, me struggling, and a competitor in a pig suit (someone also did it in a Shrek costume):



ps - I was the 3rd girl! I managed to get there late and started with the 2nd wave so they tacked on 15 extra mins--> not sure what I am in the official results, but it's not 3rd

pps - I either qualified or won a lottery slot for the Mudder Championship. I got an ominous email the other day, and I'm thinking participating might not be the best idea.

4 comments:

  1. A few things happen when I read posts like this:

    1. I feel incredibly lethargic
    2. I wish I wasn't so lethargic
    3. I wonder why you admit to being friends with someone as out of shape as me
    4. I say, "this is why I love Leila!"
    5. I make a goal to do something physical today
    6. I thank God that you didn't hurt yourself!

    And lastly, I take comfort in the fact that I know I won't wear you out with all of the things I have planned for next weekend! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms Whit you make my life, and you're certainly not lethargic! I'm sooo excited to see you and go exploring in DC!
    (plus your posts make me realize how much I have to learn about the great outdoors)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leila,
    Here's a fun thing to check out: Swim from Asia to Europe! Once a year they close the Bosphorous in Istanbul to shipping so the Turkish Olympic Foundation can host a funraiser swim. See these links for info:
    http://www.sisterhoodchallenge.com/missions/bosphorus-swim-istanbul/
    http://www.bosphorus.cc/en/Application/Swimming
    http://www.theglobalist.com/StoryId.aspx?StoryId=2285
    I am sure you could persuade Cami to swim with you.

    Dan Ratliff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dan! Great idea! I definitely have some posts to catch up on and this looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete