Friday, January 20, 2012

Bike the US of A


"The best way to start a cross-country bicycle trip is to pretend you're not doing it." That's the best advice Calvin Woodward has to offer, at least. Not exactly the inspiration I was looking for.

The closest I've come to this kind of journey was when I drove across part of the country with a bike. I threw it in as an afterthought and rode around in happy circles in pretty parks. There was one serious ride: Dante's Peak. It's 13 miles of climbing 3,500 feet on a steadily increasing incline. I was dying by mile 11, and by 13 I was going so slowly my bike just tipped over. I walked the last quarter mile, obliviously stepped over a rattlesnake, and took in the amazing view at the top.

Fortunately, quite a few groups have completed the entire 3,000+ mile journey and blogged about it. Here's "Nathan and Kelli Bike Across America!", "We're really doing it", and "Judy's Journal".

There's even the Race Across America (RAAM), which will start in June, 2012 for the 31st time. Instead of taking a few months, soloists often take only 8 days. Teams ride 350-500 miles a day, while soloists ride 250-350, and are given 12 days max to finish.

Regardless of how many miles you have in your legs, the RAAM decision making section has some great pointers on how to deal with a racer who says "I have to have a pickle or I'm quitting." Also applicable to toddlers.

Happy Riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment