Sunday, July 18, 2010

Don't Do This


I am a huge fan of events that flirt with that line between Brave and Stupid. This, however, is just stupid.

When I first heard about the Cooper's Hill cheese-rolling competition, I envisioned a hummer-sized ball of cheddar tumbling down a mountain with giddy souls rolling down behind it.

Instead, small groups take turns hurling themselves down a hill after a wimpy, plate-sized round of "double Gloucester," and a good amount of the competitors get carted off by the paramedics waiting at the bottom. The organizers say they generally have 30-40 people in need of treatment each year.

Amazingly, the event was canceled this year due to safety concerns for the spectators after more then 15,000 people showed up to watch the 2009 event. Former competitor Mike Smith had this to say about the news: "As a cheese-roller of many years, I look forward to the chance to really injure myself each year. I have no idea how I'll hurt myself this year now."

Here's a great video with injury highlights

No comments:

Post a Comment